Thursday, October 20, 2011

Happy Homecoming!

I am less than 24 hours from the beginning of my homecoming weekend celebrations and I couldn't be more excited. As much as Milwaukee is my home because it where my physical house is, my family is here and it's where I spend the majority of my time, it's very fitting that my favorite celebration at the U and in the Cities is Homecoming. That campus was my home and because of many reasons still is a home away from home. Many of my non-blood related family lives there. I've had houses there. (I still consider AXO "my" house, so I guess I do still have a house there). And when it comes to memories, the concentration of good solid memories that the U provided a backdrop for is ridiculously high. So, in less than 24 hours, I'm coming home. Maybe only for a long weekend, but for the whole damn weekend, I'll feel like I'm home.

And to kick off the wondrous celebrations, I've decided to post some pictures from homecomings of yore. I thought I'd be able to find a lot more, until I realized that for most of the homecomings I celebrated as an undergrad, you couldn't yet upload albums of pictures to Facebook. Yes, kids I'm talking about a time that was B.F. Before Facebook. (If that doesn't make me feel like a creepy old alumni...thank goodness this weekend is made for creepy old alumni!)

This is from just this past year and makes me smile every time. I have it hung at my desk at work and no one even comments on the fact that I'm a gopher fan in the picture, they're too busy looking at the 3 pretty ladies in their gopher gear!

Ahh, my very first homecoming. I joined the sorority after HC freshman year (wow was that a different kind of homecoming celebration.) This year always holds a special place in my heart. Special enough that I have pictures on the 'book from it because I SCANNED them on to my computer. That's dedication.

This is still one of my favorite memories as it's the first time my 'rents ever met Tor. And she was quite upset about a lost mitten at the time. It wasn't until years later that they admitted the stood across the street and watched us for a while before they came over and said hi. And they let me stay in the sorority. Shocking. They even loved Tori. :)

Thanks to being Greek I got to relive a bit of Cheerleading in college. Here's our cheer team from my favorite year of homecoming ever. There were many hours spent practicing in a barn that year...the sawdust was as close to a gym with a mat we could find. And we loved every minute of it. Our theme was Shrek. And yes, we made our costumes. (I'm sure you were wondering as they look so professional.)

No comments:

Post a Comment