Friday, September 2, 2011

Bee in my bonnet.

Clearly I've got my undies in a bundle about this because I've already bitched on the book AND on twitter and I just haven't gotten it out of my system yet.

I hated when this happened last year and I hate it even more this year. The stupid facebook splattering of the supposed "Breast Cancer Awareness" by faking people into thinking you're pregnant and craving things. Last year it was saying where you hang your purse to make everyone (read: dudes) think you're saying your favorite place to have sex. This year they've taken it up a notch by making people (again, read: dudes) think you're preggers.

I get that it's not malicious, people are just having a good time and think it's cute. Sure, sure. But realistically, it does SQUAT to raise awareness of Breast Cancer. You want to create awareness? Post a statistic, instructions on how to check yourself (before you wreck yourself), locations of where you had your best mammogram? I don't know, do something breast cancer related.

In fact, here's an example:
  • Women in the United States get breast cancer more than any other type of cancer except for skin cancer. It is second only to lung cancer as a cause of cancer death in women.
  • Each year it is estimated that nearly 200,000 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer and more than 40,000 will die.
  • Approximately 1,700 men will also be diagnosed with breast cancer and 450 will die each year.
  • Young women get breast cancer. It’s a fact, not a myth. And while the chance of developing breast cancer under the age of 40 is lower, it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be concerned.
  • Women should have a clinical breast exam at least every three years starting at age 20 and a yearly mammogram starting at age 40.
  • Those who have a known risk due to personal or family history should talk to their doctor.
There. That? Heightened awareness. Pretending I'm craving skittles because I'm knocked up? That just confused a bunch of people (everyone knows I'd never crave skittles. :))

You really want to help? Raise some money and do a walk. Feeling super ambitious, raise more money and walk 60 miles. Hell, if you're feeling lazy you can even Sleep in for a Cure and STILL be more helpful than the post on the book.

And that my friends, is my breast cancer awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment