Tuesday, July 19, 2011

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

You're about to find out what it means to me.

When my brother and I were little, my parents treated us with the same respect they gave adults. They explained to us that if you want someone to respect you, you have to respect them first. That adults should treat kids with respect too. I believe this is one of the best things they ever could have taught us. Our family might not be "traditional" by definition, but respect is something we have always had, hold in the utmost importance, and give to each other constantly.

You can, given this story, imagine how frustrating it is when I feel as though I'm not being respected. If from a young age, you're told that in order to get respect you must give it, it's infuriating when someone doesn't play by the same rules. And whether or not your parents have reinforced this same lesson of respect, we have all been told repeatedly of the golden rule.

Sometimes people get into a place of power and authority and somehow completely forget about that lesson. They lose all touch with the reality of how they would like to be treated, and their focus becomes strictly about themselves. This is one of the most unfortunate outcomes from success I have seen to date in the corporate world. It becomes very difficult to respect someone who is "higher up" than you on the wonderful corporate ladder, when they do not treat you with respect or appreciation.

Because this is a public platform and people could find this...I refuse to go into extensive detail. However, I will say this...If you're ever interested in REALLY making me angry and / or losing just a wee bit of respect from me? Call my personal cell phone (I have a work cell phone for this VERY reason), on a Saturday afternoon. And then? Then, when I tell you I am at a wedding and can't talk...continue to text me until 9:30 p.m.

That my friends makes for one ANGRY Angie. I have said it before and I'll say it again, I will give 110% when I am at work, but don't you dare F with my weekends. I am not one of "those" people. I have zero interest in working all hours of the night / weekend. If this is what it takes to be at the top of the ladder, I don't want to be there. I may not have kids now, but it doesn't mean I don't have a life outside of work. And someday? I will have kids, and when I do, I refuse to be the mom who can't leave her phone / computer.

I work to live, not live to work. This does not make me lazy or any less of a hard worker.

*Steps off soapbox*

No comments:

Post a Comment