Thursday, June 9, 2011

Responsibilibuddies

If you've ever been out with me, you know I have a tendency to go into mom mode on occasion. I mean sure, on rare occasions, I've also gone into stupid drunk mode, but for the most part I'm more mom than stupid drunk. So it's no surprise that the story of the missing IU student makes me so sad and drives me crazy.

One of the BEST lessons I learned in college was NEVER under any circumstances should someone walk home alone. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was something we could potentially have been scolded for through the sorority "rules board." We had a slight advantage through our Sober Sister program (every Fri & Sat night girls volunteered to stay at the house and be available from 10-2 to pick up sisters from wherever they might be on campus to help avoid solo walks home and drunk driving.) However, even if we were walking to and from places, we traveled in packs most of the time, but never less than pairs.

There are so many stories you hear of college students disappearing and while it's not an every day occurrence, it seems it could be much more easily avoided. Things happen when people have been drinking. It's easier to get confused about where you are, to fall and hit your head, to be susceptible to being taken advantage of. I mean, sure the 110 pound sorority girl I'd be walking home with probably couldn't fend of an attack, but if I got hurt, she could get help. She could keep me from getting lost. It's just one more brain helping the situation.

And now, almost 10 years after my freshman year of college, I still carry this lesson with me. Just a few weeks ago I went to a Bachelorette party in Chicago. And before I allowed the party into their cabs, everyone had to promise me they had a responsibilibuddy and they would not let that girl out of her sight. They'd stick together all night, or trade buddies until no one was left alone. Granted, we're a little older now, so most of us took cabs home before bar time even hit, but still. You can never be too careful when it comes to getting home post-drinking.

So to all those people out there who are still walking to bars and house parties through the wee hours of the morning - please, please, please don't do it alone. Nothing is worth losing a friend over. Not that one last drink, not even making out with that cute frat boy. The beer and the boy will still be there tomorrow (lesson #2: there's ALWAYS more beer and more boys). Go home with your friend if she needs to go home. If your girl is super wasted, give up the rest of your night and get her home safely. No one wants to be the last one to see the now missing girl. I promise.

And if you're super party girl? Pick a responsibilibuddy who's also super party girl. That way you don't have to worry about having to leave early and you'll still be safe! (See I'm not being a fun vacuum, you can still be crazy fun and careful!)

Grab a buddy and promise not to leave them for the night. You'll be so glad you did when you're both safe (and painfully hungover) at home the next morning to trade tales from the night before.

No comments:

Post a Comment