Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Patience is a pain in my ass.

I've never been all that great with patience. I believe I may have mentioned that a few times here. When I decide I want something I'm pretty much balls to the wall* about it. It's just in my DNA.

When the topic of purchasing a house came up I immediately started searching. I made a handful of appointments for a Saturday when I knew I'd be back home. On Wednesday I found another house, made an appointment to see it on Thursday. Brought mom & dad through on Friday. Canceled all Saturday appointments and by 11:30 on Saturday morning had put in an offer. Monday the offer was accepted and within 30 days I had the keys in my hand.

A year ago I decided it was time to just start looking at trading in Libby and getting a new car. At 3:00 my parents and I left to look around the lots. By 7:30 I had officially cleaned out and traded in Libby. By 9:30 I was driving my Vue off the lot.

Two years ago (to the day, Happy Job Anniversary to me!) I took a temp job here to see if I liked what the company was all about. Within those two years I got permanently placed and moved to another position with a more fitting team.

The thing is, this has always worked out for me. For some reason when it comes to BIG decisions, my gut instinct is right. And I don't question it one iota. (Dine out with me and you'd think I was making a GIANT decision by choosing just one thing off the menu...takes me forever and I go back and forth with what I want until I'm forced to order. And about 50% of the time, I'll verbally announce my regret with that decision before the food is served.) As much as I understand why people say "patience is a virtue" and I understand the concept of needing to wait for certain things, I also believe this go for it instinct has worked out quite well for me in the past. If I start to question things I get all crazy and overwhelmed and analytical and completely lose sight of what my gut is telling me to do.

I think part of my trust in this "pull the trigger" mentality is that I also have strong faith in the fact that whatever is meant to be, will be. So if I pull the trigger and it doesn't work out, it wasn't meant to. As long as I'm not hurting myself or anyone around me, I think I'll continue to just keep listening to my instinct and going for it.

Don't say you weren't warned.

*As I typed that I realized I use that phrase ALL the time and have NO idea where it came from. Does it only apply to people with balls? Am I using it incorrectly? So I decided to check it out. Turns out it was coined in the WWII era by American Fighter pilots. The throttle levers had round tops that looked like balls. By pushing them forward towards the firewalls, you were making the plane move as fast as possible. Thus, "balls to the wall" meaning carrying out an action as quickly as possible. So there you go. Don't say I never taught you anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment