Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Rapture*.

I know what you're thinking, "little late to this bandwagon aren't we?" But hear me out. First and foremost, I am not a big believer in the rapture. And I'm not just saying that now, knowing it was a pile of bunk. My general stance on all things Armageddon / apocalypse / world ending theories is that if it's really going to blow up / implode / end in any way that wipes out 99.9% of all things, I'm going with it and there's little I can do to stop it. Much to the dismay of my ex, I'm not interested in surviving these events. (Perhaps that's what I'll start using as the reason we ended, I wasn't willing to endure the post-apocalyptic world with him...yup. Consider that done.) I don't even do all that well for extended periods of time without the refuge of air conditioning in mid-August, I hardly believe I'm capable of fending off zombies and growing my own hemp to make rope with.

I was however, all about joking about the Rapture. Literally EVERYTHING that went even slightly wrong on Saturday I chalked up to the impending Rapture. It was hilarious..all. day. long. And now that we've learned the date of said Rapture has been moved to October, I'm already looking forward to the resurrection of the joke. Though, to be honest, I haven't quite put it to rest yet. I'm still using it. Post-Rapture effects.

In all seriousness, a good handful of pretty important people in my life are going through some messy, nasty, not so fun situations. And, having recently gone through one of my own, I came to a little realization. Rapture is a relative term. Sure, the rivers didn't ignite with fire and we're, for the most part, all still standing while the world continues turning. However, every single day people all around us are going through their own little Raptures. Moments, days, weeks in time where it literally feels as though the world might end. Not the physical Earth, but their own personal world. It's heavy, it's overwhelming, and it's exhausting to think about. But, much like the supposed Rapture of May 2011, things eventually blow over. It's not as bad as it seems. You can squeeze your eyes shut real tight and wish for it to just pass...and when you inevitably open your eyes, it will. But it doesn't mean it didn't happen. It doesn't mean that for that moment in time your world felt like it was over. But in the mean time, grab your loved ones, huddle close and take cover. For as it always does, this too shall pass.

*For the purposes of this post, I'm using "Rapture" as a loose term meaning the world is f'n over. Not the religious meaning...just world blowing up and being dunzo.

No comments:

Post a Comment