Thursday, April 14, 2011

Power of control.

This morning I was in a not so great mood. I was cranky, things weren't going my way and it made me mad. For as much as I proclaim to be a control freak, when my day isn't going the way I wanted it to or planed for it to, I immediately throw my hands up in the air and write the day off as sucky. Very anti-in control. The thing is, today? Nothing TERRIBLE happened. A few unfortunate events took place within a small window of time. Yes it was all before 9:00 a.m. Yes it was NOT the way I wanted my pre-9:00 a.m. day to go. Yes by 9:01 I was thinking about the bottles of wine in my fridge. But was I really willing to let the remaining 12+ hours I'd spend awake be wasted?

There's a guy on Twitter who almost always starts the day with a tweet along the lines of "Have a great day!" Every morning when I read his positive tweets I get a little reminder that the day can be wonderful. Today his tweet was, "Thursday! Make it great!"For some reason it totally resonated with me, more than they usually do. It was my gentle little reminder that I could CHOOSE to make it great. Some less than ideal things will happen, but you can choose to change the direction of your day.

I immediately gathered my co-worker and took 10 minutes to vent, get it out of my system and then laugh. In a quick minute the day felt better. I continued to build on this foundation of a great day. Decided to right what "wrongs" I could that happened earlier and plan for it to be a better day. I focused on the positive things that were happening - no matter how small. And you know what? It worked.

I know it won't always work. And some days are just bad days. But if you try hard enough, you just might be able to find good even on the semi-shitty ones. And the best part is? It's just another thing I'm in control over!

No comments:

Post a Comment