Thursday, March 31, 2011

Emotionally Intelligent

The past two days I spent at the UWM School of Continuing Education in a class that promised to teach you "how to deal with difficult people, including yourself." It was an Emotional Intelligence course and after 18 years of school, 4 years of college and a handful of continued education courses this was probably the best I've participated in, if not, then definitely top 3.

The basis of the instruction was around personality types and why we do what we do. How past experiences and personal values impact not only what we do, but more importantly why we think others do / say what they do. I spent 90% of the class going, "Gah! No wonder!" or "OF COURSE! Why didn't I think of that?!" The other 10% was "Really?! I do that?!" Regardless of what I was thinking 100% of the time I was engaged, intrigued and really learning about my interactions with other people. The instructor works as a business / professional coach and is insanely knowledgeable on the topic. She could quote research and statistics like most people say, "today is Thursday." She was beyond comfortable with the information and made it very easy to tell it to the class like a story. It was one of the best instructions I've seen in a class setting ever. Quite flawless execution throughout the entire course.

In my opinion, best case scenario when in an educational setting, is to walk away feeling as though you have been empowered through knowledge you weren't previously aware of. I am having that feeling ten fold after this class. I spent 20 minutes last night recapping what I learned (I even busted out my binder) to my parents...at Hooters. I couldn't wait to share what I learned and even better, how I was going to use it.

Furthermore, this class is totally all encompassing. I can use the lessons I learned equally in my personal life and in my career. There are relationships in every single aspect of life and the instruction in this class applies to them all. I may be still high on the learning, but I strongly believe my present interactions and those yet to be had will be far improved from what I've gathered in the last two days.

Having an overwhelming sense of clarity and after two days of a-ha moments, am eagerly looking forward to putting it all into practice. If you're in the area and are looking for a class to take, I would highly recommend this one. If not, find something to take about Emotional Intelligence by you! She's teaching a deeper dive of the course later this spring, unfortunately it's the same day as my Blogging Bootcamp so I won't be able to make it. I was quite devastated by this when I found out. But if you're interested and have participated in an Emotional Intelligence program before, you can find out more about the class here.

No comments:

Post a Comment