Monday, August 16, 2010

Falling slowly.

It's almost here. I can sense the anticipation. Smell it in the air. Feel it at night and early morning. Fall is coming soon!

Last night as we headed in we noticed there was a cooler breeze rustling through the trees. And this morning as I left for work, instead of being hit with the thick wall of humidity, I easily took a deep breath in and felt a cool crisp about the air. I may be a bit premature in my celebration (who can blame me after the past few weeks of hellish humidity?! and the mosquitoes?! Don't get me started.) but sooner rather than later, my favorite of all seasons will be among us.

For some reason as I age, Fall becomes more and more my most favorite season. As a kid I think it's innate within us to embrace summer as our all time favorite. With school being out and three months ahead to do with whatever we please, it does make sense after all. But now that work becomes a 12 months out of the year kind of thing, summer doesn't have quite the appeal to it as years past.

Don't get me wrong, there are things about every season I anticipate and enjoy throughout the year. summer has its special place in my heart if for nothing more than Sunday afternoons in my parents pool. Grill going, music playing, sun shining and good company surrounding us. Sundays at my parents is exactly what I picture in my head when I think of summer. However, come the humidity and heat of August, I'm usually just about over Summer by the time September swings in.

And with Christmas being my favorite holiday, winter has its moments too. I love the first snow fall (and my tradition of watching Home Alone on that first night of snowfall). When it's not the dead of winter and I'm freezing while scraping snow off my car, I long to get all bundled up and walk through the lightly falling snow. And don't even get me started on the entire month of December. As far as I'm concerned December = Christmas...that's right, the whole damn month! But come February? I'm so. over. winter. (If I'm being honest, I'm pretty much over winter after the first of the year. I could handle just November, December and January as winter and then hit me up with spring!)

Spring kind of comes in dead last in terms of seasons...I mean sure I like feeling when it's just starting to get warm. That first day you can open the windows and while the breeze is a bit chilly you push on through just so you can feel fresh air in your house again! And the first smell of fresh cut grass, the first baseball game, driving with your windows down and heat blasting just so you can get that feeling of warmth in the car. I love all those things...but really to me spring is just a little tugboat for summer. I like it but only because I know what follows it up. It's that opening band you didn't know of but were pleasantly surprised with.

But fall...fall is my favorite. More than most years (I can remember at least) I'm really looking forward to this fall. I think it holds some good things. I'm already looking forward to the first Caramel Apple Spice Cider. The leaves changing and then falling. Bonfire smell. Wearing a sweatshirt and jeans. Football. A chilly breeze with the windows open at night. Rolling down the windows.

Ugh, I can hardly stand the wait! Adios humidity and mosquitoes, hello fall!*

*And for all the cynics out there, yes, I'm well aware that come February, in true Wisconsinite form, I'll be all, "GOD, this is TERRIBLE. I'm so damn cold. When will it be summer again?!" But, again, I am a Wisconsinite, and this is what we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment