Saturday, June 6, 2009

Getting Old.

In a recent e-mail exchange between a good friend and I, we discussed how even though we sometimes bitch about getting old and being no fun...we kind of secretly enjoy it. And then the next day I caught up with another friend from way back and we were able to catch up in about 15 mins...due to the fact that we're both kind of old and spend a lot of time "hanging around the house" or "fixing up the house." It takes substantially less time to catch up when there's fewer "I don't know if I like that guy I met at the bar or the ex I ran into yesterday"...it's more easy going and quick when it's "Yeah the BF and I just got home from dinner and we're going grocery shopping". Although - to her credit - her and her husband did go dancing that week, and then out for drinks...they're still fun.



I like getting older. I enjoy seeing how who I was back then has sculpted me into who I am today. I love knowing that my mistakes and decisions from my past (both good and bad) have made me who I am today. Even if that who I am is less likely to stay up til sunrise or drink 30 shots of tequila in a night. I like hearing about my friends husbands and live in boyfriends. I enjoy seeing people I love settle down and start living this phase of life. I really don't mind staying in on a Friday night so I can get up early and head to the Home Depot on Saturday morning. Or spending the first half of a Saturday night playing Mario Kart and talking about life with my bestie. I love going out for dinner with the BF and going home to hang out.



Don't get me wrong, sometimes I'm still really fun. Sometimes I'm still even too much fun. But I will say, I thoroughly am enjoying this stage of getting a little older and living life a little slower.



P.S. I did enjoy some mid-day drinks w/ JT today...so I guess there are still parts of me who are up for being fun - it probably rubbed off from her - as JT is still WAY fun and WAY young. I'll live vicariously from her for now. :)



P.P.S. This post also goes to show you that my fans are also the people I talk to on a semi-regular basis...and that if you make known to me you're reading this...you just might show up in a post :)

No comments:

Post a Comment