Thursday, January 8, 2009

Recipe of the Week

I've made a conscientious effort to make more of my meals at home and in doing so, make more of the meals I make at home healthier. I always hated cooking for just myself but now that I've got that man of mine, cooking for two is much more fun! I thoroughly enjoy cooking for more than one person.

(Side note: I hate with a passion cooking for myself for a number of reasons, a couple of which are: I eat while I cook and therefore am bored with it by the time the food is done and I'm not an avid leftovers eater, plus telling yourself what a great meal you just cooked is kind of sad).

Given that I want to cook more, I realized I have to expand my recipe collection from the 5 standard meals I was familiar with making prior to this. On Monday I tried a pasta w/ broccoli rabe & salami recipe by Rachael Ray that was terrible. Seriously horrible. It looked bad and tasted worse. On a positive note - we had a light dinner that night and felt good about that!(given that we each took about 3 bites before we realized we couldn't choke down a full bowl & threw away the leftovers)

I did TOTALLY redeem myself last night though. I found this recipe on Food Network from the show Healthy Appetite. I made a few provisions to make the recipe easier, faster, and more likable for me...At any rate - totally tasty and good for you! A great combo!

Easy Chicken-Mushroom Quesadillas

1 tbsp canola oil
1 large onion, chopped (about 2 c.)
8 oz. white button mushrooms (about 3 c.)
3 cloves garlic, minced (I always use the stuff from the jar - I know fresh tastes better - but I can't stand my hands smelling like garlic for the next 3 1/2 weeks).
2 c. cooked chopped skinless, boneless chicken breast (Cheat: I used a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and shredded the breast meat - easy peasy!)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
2 c. baby spinach leaves, sliced into ribbons (or if you're cooking this for me, no spinach at all)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
4 (10in) whole-grain flour tortillas
1 c shredded Mexican cheese mix or cheddar
1/2 c. salsa
1/4 c. reduced fat sour cream

Heat the oil in a large skillet over a medium heat. Add the onions and mushrooms and cook until the mushroom water is evaporated and they start to brown, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic & cook for a minute more. Add chicken, cumin, chili powder & oregano & stir until all spices are incorporated. Add spinach, salt & pepper & cook until spinach is wilted, about 2 mins.

Lay 1 tortilla out & sprinkle w/ 1/4 c. shredded cheese. Spoon 1/2 chicken & vegetable mix on top of cheese. Then cover w/ an additional 1/4 c. cheese. Top with another flour tortilla. Heat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray over medium heat. Place quesadilla in pan and cook 3 mins. Flip & cook an additional 3 mins until lightly browned and cheese is melted. Repeat w/ second quesadilla. Serve w/ sour cream & salsa.

Few side notes: We used a panini maker to cook them, worked great! Also - our quesadillas were stacked and we had enough to make 3 instead of just 2.

Enjoy!

I'm going to try to share a new recipe each week...don't worry I'll keep the salami vomit pasta ones to myself and only share the good ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment